1. Pizza Margherita - first made in 1899 when Queen Margherita visited Napels to escape a cholera epidemic in the north. Ingredients are tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil - the colors of the Italian flag.
2. Pizza Marinara - Neapolitan pizza with oregano, anchovies, garlic.
3. Pizza Alla Napoletana (Napoli) - tomatoes, mozzarella, anchovies.
4. Pizza Capricciosa - mushrooms, prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives, boiled egg.
5. Pizza Pugliese - local capers and olives, topped with tomato, mozzarella, and onions.
6. Pizza Veronese - mushrooms and prosciutto crudo.
7. Pizzas from Sicily - have numerous toppings ranging from green olives, seafood, hard-boiled eggs, to peas.
8. Pizza Ai Quattro Formagi - 4 cheese combination using fresh Mozzarella and 3 local cheeses such as Gorgonzola, Ricotta, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
9. Pizza Quattro Stagioni - tomato base, divided in 4 sections for each season. Olives, artichokes, ham, peppers, tomatoes, mozzarella, mushrooms, salami, boiled eggs.
10. Pizza Tonno - tuna in olive oil, mozzarella, onions, sometimes olives.
11. Pizza Ai Funghi e Salsicce (or Boscaiola) - mozzarella, mushrooms, sausage, with or without tomato.
12. Pomodoro Pachino and Rughetta - cherry tomato and arugula.
13. Calzone - real Calzone has NO tomato sauce inside! Often with spinach and cheese, or cheese and some sort of meat.
14. Pizza al Taglio - aka Pizza Rustica is sold everywhere in Italy, usually by weight and often piled with marinated mushrooms, onions, artichokes.
15. Pizza Foccaccia - resembles the earliest pizzas, no tomatoes or cheese but covered in olive oil, caramelized onions and other savory toppings.
16. Sfincione - thick Sicilian sheet pizza that uses tomato sauce, anchovies (or paste) breadcrumbs and Caciocavallo cheese.
17. Dessert Pizzas - new trend that is gaining popularity, often with Nutella, honey, fruit jam, yogurt, even liquor.
18. Focaccia Al Rosmarino - based on rosemary and olive oil, sometimes served with prosciutto. An appetizer.
19. Pizza Romana - tomato, mozzarella, capers, anchovies.
20. Liguria Pizzas - topped with basil pesto, no tomato sauce.